My family has always been fans of classic sloppy joes. There’s something so satisfying about the sweet and savory combination and messiness of it all! But I just can’t seem to want to feed them the canned version of the sauce.
Homemade sloppy joes are so easy to make and come together in one skillet in about 20 minutes or so. Browned beef is mixed with onion, anti-inflammatory spices and green pepper then simmered in a sweetened tomato sauce. The secret is in finding the right seasoning for the sauce and our previous meal delivery company, Feed Your Vitality, did just that. But we didn’t stop there. We took that delicious sloppy joe and stuffed it into a piping hot sweet potato! Now we’re really talking sweet and savory! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Sweet Potato Sloppy Joes
- 12 oz ground beef
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 oz yellow onions finely diced
- 2 oz red & green pepper finely diced
- 1 oz celery finely diced
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- Cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake sweet potato until tender, about 35 minutes. Let sit to cool then cut in half lengthwise.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are tender.
- Add the ground beef to the same skillet to brown.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add all spices, honey and bell peppers to the skillet. Pour in the diced tomatoes with the liquids and the tomato sauce. Simmer all together on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon ½ of the sloppy joe mixture into each half of the potato and serve warm.
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more recipes like this one, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course you do! Click here for the secret sauce!