Oh yeah baby! We took a naughty southern favorite, lowered the carbs, loaded it with protein, and smothered it in delicious. Even Grandma is proud (She just can’t believe it is dairy and grain free!)
Make your own healthier Biscuits & Gravy with these ingredients:
- pork sausage
- coconut milk
- fennel seeds
- sage, dried
- classic drop Paleo biscuits (see recipe below)
Free of ingredients containing: Gluten, corn, soy, casin, dairy, and grains
“Even Grandma is proud. She just can’t believe it is dairy and grain free!”
Classic Biscuits & Gravy contain the following ingredients:
Sausage Gravy: (Water, Pork Sausage [Pork, Salt, Natural Spices, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate) Gravy Mix (Modified Food Starch, Maltodextrin, Enriched Bleached Flour [Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Palm Oil, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Sugar, (Contains 2% or Less of: Black Pepper, (Bacon-Flavored Fat [with TBHQ] Sodium Caseinate [a Milk Derivative, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein [Corn, (Soy and/or Wheat], Dipotassium, Phosphate, Monoglycerides, (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Mono & Diglycerides, Natural and Artificial (Flavor, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Disodium (Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Color Added), Cultured Dextrose, Biscuits: Bleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Buttermilk (Cultured Low Fat Milk, Nonfat Dry Milk, Food Starch, Salt, Carrageenan, Pectin), Palm Oil, Biscuit Concentrate (Leavening [Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate], Salt, Sugar, Dextrose, Calcium Propionate, Calcium Sulfate, Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Guar Gum), Shortening (Palm Oil, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta-Carotene, Citric Acid), Artificial Butter Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (to Preserve Freshness). Contains: milk, soy, wheat, gluten, corn
Long story short, if you don’t know what it is, and cannot pronounce it without the assistance of a chemical bio-engineer; you probably don’t want it in your food. This doesn’t mean that every food additive is harmful, but many of them are. I believe that even the safest additives are unnecessary when food is made from scratch in a healthy and natural way. Grandma didn’t need all those extra ingredients!
Here is a great resource for anyone wanting to understand the ingredients found on food labels: http://www.understandingfoodadditives.org
When you eat real food there is no need for a label.
Enjoy our healthier Biscuits and Gravy. Made with real food. Wholesome ingredients. Laughter, Silliness, and a lot of Love.
Anti-Inflammatory Sausage Gravy
Servings: 8 (2 oz servings)
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 20 oz coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp sage, dried
- 1/4 Tbsp pepper
- 1/8 Tbsp salt
- Brown sausage in a pan. While its browning, in large pot add the coconut milk, fennel, sage, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and remove 1/2 cup of coconut milk and add arrowroot. Stir to remove lumps, then add back in to pot.
- Reduce heat and stir to thicken.
- Add meat and mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot over classic drop Paleo biscuits.
Classic Drop Paleo Biscuits
- 15 1/4 oz almond butter
- 2 oz grapeseed oil
- 2 1/2 oz honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 2/3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Drop batter onto lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Flatten each biscuit down to about 1/2-inch-thick using grapeseed oiled hands.
- Bake on 325°F for 10 minutes. Rotate pans and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and slice in half.
- Serve with gravy, your favorite biscuit topping or use biscuits to make breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs and veggies.
- The biscuits and gravy can both be frozen so make in larger batches and save in individual servings so you can pop it out of the freezer and have a healthier breakfast any day! Freeze biscuits and gravy separately for best results.
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more information and recipes like this, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at info@VitalityConsultantsLLC.com for more details.
#healthyliving, #wellness, #glutenfree, #anitinflammatory, #yummydeliciousness