Did you know that more than 300 chemical reactions in the body rely on the mineral magnesium, yet the average American only get about three quarters of the recommended 400 milligrams a day? It is not overly surprising that the “standard American diet,” with a heavy reliance on packaged and refined foods, results in deficiency. What is surprising, however, is that even people with a comparatively healthy diet can be at risk of deficiency of magnesium in the body due to improper meal planning, overcooked vegetables, or the wrong calcium to magnesium ratio. Dark leafy greens, legumes, nuts, and seeds are the best foods to ensure the body is getting enough magnesium.
Best Magnesium Rich Foods
- Swiss Chard
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Collard Greens
- Turnip Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Green Beans
- Sea Vegetables
- Black Strap Molasses
- Sesame Seeds
- Black Beans
- Sunflower Seeds
For a full list of all magnesium rich foods visit Worlds Healthiest Foods.
To learn more about magnesium in the body and for additional magnesium-rich recipes, check out this article on Magnesium in the Body. For now, we will provide you with this delicious anti-inflammatory recipe for Ginger Green Beans. It is easy to make and provides you with magnesium you need in your day!
Ginger Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Bragg Liquid Aminos coconut aminos or tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook green beans until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain green beans.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper, stirring often, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
- Add green beans, Liquid Aminos and honey. Toss until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course, you do! Click here for the secret sauce!