An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
In this article, learn about the many health benefits of apples and get anti-inflammatory recipes incorporating this delicious fruit.
What is an apple?
- A mystical or forbidden fruit?
- An album label who produced the Beatles’ first album?
- One of the biggest technology companies in the world?
An apple is all of the above, but let’s talk about the food facts and health benefits of this sweet edible fruit today — and we will provide you with recipes at the end.
Did you know that there are approximately 7,500 different apple varieties grown all over the world? And of these, an estimated 2,500 are cultivated in the United States.
Apples don’t only need to be eaten raw. Because they are one of the most popular fruits in existence, they are delicious in recipes for roasts, sauces, and desserts, to mention a few. They are simple to carry with you for a quick snack and easy to pack in a lunch box. When you’re trying to become healthy, eating an apple is a great way to feel like you’re cheating while you’re doing it.
We hear that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. The doctor stays away because there are so many proven health benefits associated with this pure fruit. Here are just a few health benefits – we’re sure you will find several of these that can help in your journey to wellness:
- Reduces your risk of cancer and diabetes – you can decrease your risk of severe health issues by including apples in your diet because an apple is as good as a natural supplement for your body. Almost all the vitamins and minerals your body needs can be found right in a single apple. Since apples contain virtually no sugar or fat, they’re among the best diabetic-friendly snacks to have if you need to make changes in your lifestyle.
- Low in calories, salt, fat, and cholesterol – which is what makes an apple a perfect filler to bulk up dishes without putting a load of calories and heart disease-causing enemies into your diet.
- Boosts your metabolism – your metabolism regulates the way your body processes food; it’s in charge of the speed at which your body converts the food you eat into fuel for the body. To lose weight and burn fat, you should find small, healthy ways to speed up your metabolism. Eating apples as part of your daily routine will help to kick start this process!
- Cleans your teeth – yes, it’s true! The crunchy texture of apples helps scrub much of the bacteria off your teeth with less harm than a toothbrush.
- High in fiber – a high fiber diet is one of the best ways to cleanse your body. Keeping your body regular is the best way to rid it of toxins. Eating a high fiber diet will ensure that your body moves waste through painlessly.
All parts of the apple, except for the seeds, are edible, including the skin. Apples are often eaten raw, but the core, which contains the seeds, is usually not eaten and is discarded.
Apples are so versatile. They can be juiced, eaten raw in salads, baked, cooked in sauces and spreads, preserved, canned, dried and frozen.
Have you ever thought about growing an apple tree? You can grow a tree right from the apple seeds from an apple that you eat. Read more at GardenSeason.com, How to Grow Apples.
Talking about apples gives us a great opportunity to not only talk about apple’s health benefits but also provide you with a delicious anti-inflammatory recipe. This uses unsweetened apple juice and makes a delicious alternative to maple syrup!
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened apple juice
- 2 packets or 1/2 tsp powdered stevia or to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine arrowroot, cinnamon, nutmeg and apple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in stevia.
- Serve hot or cold. Refrigerate in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
#AntiInflammatory #KeepTheDoctorAway #HealthBenefits
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course, you do! Click here for the secret sauce!