April 2 is National Burrito Day. Because we like to stay away from flour and corn tortillas, we put a spin on a favorite Mexican treat and came up with a delicious anti-inflammatory version of a burrito. This looks like a lot of ingredients, but if you look close you’ll see that there are just a lot of delicious seasonings (that are probably already in your cabinet) to spice up the flavor of this meal.
- 12 oz cauliflower rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp sea salt divided
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper minced, or to taste
- 1 ¼ tsp onion powder divided
- 1 ¼ tsp garlic powder divided
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 large tomato chopped
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and stir to coat. Cover skillet and steam for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover and stir, then add jalapeno, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, cayenne pepper and lime juice. Cook and stir another 1 – 2 minutes until you have desired texture. Don’t overcook or the rice will become mushy. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile in a separate skillet , crumble beef and break up with a spatula. Add ½ tsp salt, ¾ tsp onion powder, ¾ tsp garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Do not drain the fat. Lower heat to medium-low and add the tomato paste and water, stirring to combine. Continue to cook and stir until thickened, then remove to a separate bowl, keeping juices in the skillet.
- Heat the same skillet over medium and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add peppers and onions and stir to coat with fat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt to taste, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until softened and browning. Remove from heat.
- To assemble burrito bowls, begin with the cauliflower rice, then layer the beef, peppers and onions. Add shredded lettuce if you like. Garnish with tomato, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
Simple Homemade Guacamole
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, pitted and mashed
- 2-3 Tbsp onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Mash together the avocado with the rest of the ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Fish Tacos with Peach Salsa
- Air Fryer
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 medium peach diced
- ½ small red onion diced
- ½ jalapeno or to taste, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finelychopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp powdered stevia
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lime juiced
- 8 large crisp napa cabbage or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs beaten well
- 1 lb cod, talapia or other white fish cut into 1 oz pieces
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 oz slaw mix or chopped lettuce
- Tomatoes, black olives and other taco favorites chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients into a small bowl. Stir, and reserve until ready to serve.
- Put the flour with ½ tsp salt, and eggs into individual containers large enough to dip the fish pieces. Evenly sprinkle the cod pieces with the remaining salt.
- Dredge each piece of fish in flour and shake off the excess before dipping into eggs, and then finally coating evenly with flour again.
- Liberally coat the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Put the floured fish into the basket. Spray each piece of cod liberally with olive oil spray on both the tops and bottoms.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F for 10 minutes. Cook until cod is golden and crispy on all sides, turning halfway through cooking.
- When cod is ready, transfer one piece of fish to each lettuce leaf. Top with a spoonful of salsa, 1 oz slaw mix and your favorite taco toppings. Roll to form a taco. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges and an extra pinch of salt if desired.
#AntiInflammatory #NationalBurritoDay #SpiceUpYourLife
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course you do! Click here for the secret sauce!
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more tips like this one, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at email@example.com for more details.