The Benefits of Eating Fish
Fish is among the healthiest foods on Earth. It is loaded with important nutrients, such as protein and vitamin D; it is a low-fat food that provides a range of health benefits. White-fleshed fish, in particular, is lower in fat than any other source of animal protein, and oily fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, or the “good” fats, that are important for your body and brain. Since the human body can’t make significant amounts of these essential nutrients, fish are an important part of the diet. Fish are also low in the “bad” fats commonly found in red meat.
According to Healthline.com, fish:
- is known to reduce risks of heart attacks and strokes
- is essential for brain and eye development and may help protect your vision in old age
- may boost brain health
- may help prevent and treat depression
- may reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases
- may help prevent asthma in children
- may improve sleep quality
Fish is delicious and easy to prepare. We have included one of our favorite air fryer fish recipes which is also anti-inflammatory, paleo and gluten free. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We would love to hear your feedback on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VitalityConsultantsLLC/?ref=bookmarks
Air Fryer Fish Recipe (Anti-Inflammatory, Paleo, Gluten Free)
- 1 lb cod, halibut or any wild caught white fish work great!
- 8 shrimp, 16/20 count – peeled & deveined
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- Salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste
- 2-3 tsp paprika or seasoning blend of your choice
- 2 eggs beaten
- Olive oil spray
- Beat the eggs and set aside.
- Combine the almond flour and seasonings and place on a plate or shallow dish
- Using paper towels, pat the fish very dry, then season both sides with salt and pepper, dip in the egg, then coat both sides in the almond flour mixture
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste
- Spray the basket or tray and fish directly with olive oil spray
- Place fish in single layer on bottom of basket or tray of air fryer
- If your air fryer has a fish setting use that to cook. Otherwise, heat fryer to 400°F; cook fish for 10 minutes.
- Place shrimp in a single layer on bottom of basket or tray of air fryer and cook for 5 minutes
- Plate fish with 2 shrimp and roasted or air fried vegetable of your choice
Are you looking for some delicious side dishes to go with this entrée? Continue to use your air fryer to prepare some veggie sides. You can make any vegetable side you choose in the air fryer by simply tossing the vegetables in olive oil (or spraying with olive oil spray) and topping with your favorite seasonings. Check out an air fryer guide for cooking times. Be sure to put your vegetables in a single layer and toss half way through cooking.
If you’d like a few ideas, give these simple recipes a try:
Air Fryer (or Roasted) Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans, snapped into 2″ pieces
- 1 colored bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, or to taste
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Slivered almonds (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Place green beans and onion in a large bowl, sprinkle with seasonings and toss in 2 Tbsp olive oil to coat.
- In a separate bowl, add peppers and mushrooms to the bowl, sprinkle with seasoning and toss in remaining olive oil to coat.
- Arrange green beans and onions in a single layer in air fryer basket. Cook 8-10 minutes, until just tender.
- Add peppers and mushrooms to the basket and toss with green beans and onions. Cook another 8-10 minutes, until veggies are browned.
- To serve, sprinkle with slivered almonds if desired.
- If you like bacon with this dish, chop 3-4 strips of bacon and toss with the veggies in instruction 3 above. Cook with vegetables in the last 8-10 minutes of cooking time.
- This dish can be made the same way in the oven. To roast the vegetables prepare the same way but cook on a sheet pan at 375°F. The green beans and onion cooking time should be increased to 10-15 minutes or until beans are tender. Then follow remaining instructions.
Rosemary-Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup almond flour or finely crushed almond Nut-Thins crackers
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
- Combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine Brussels sprouts with 2 Tbsp oil mixture. Place Brussels sprouts in a single layer in air fryer basket and cook 4-5 minutes. Toss sprouts. Cook another 8 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking time, until sprouts are lightly browned and tender.
- Toss flour or cracker crumbs with rosemary and remaining oil mixture; sprinkle over sprouts.
- Continue cooking until crumbs are browned and spouts are tender, about 3-5 minutes. Serve hot!
- This dish can be made the same way in the oven. To roast the Brussels sprouts prepare the same way but cook on a sheet pan at 400°F. The cooking time should be increased to 30-35 minutes or until sprouts are tender, turning at least once through cooking. Then follow remaining instructions.
Air Fryer (or Roasted) Asparagus
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, ends trimmed (thick spears work best for air fryer or roasting)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
- Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine to coat.
- Place asparagus in a single layer in air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes, tossing once through cook time. Serve hot.
- At my house everyone likes mushrooms and onions with their asparagus. If you like these veggies (or any other), add 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms and 1/4 cup chopped red onion plus 1 additional Tbsp olive oil to instruction 2 above. When ready to serve, top with 1/2 Tbsp chopped rosemary.
- This dish can be made the same way in the oven. To roast the asparagus prepare the same way but cook on a sheet pan at 400°F. The cooking time should be increased to 10 minutes or until spears are tender, turning at least once through cooking.
- If you are not using oil, an olive oil cooking spray works as well as the olive oil itself. Simply spritz the asparagus before cooking and again when you toss the spears half way through cooking. This is a good tip for the air fryer and the oven.
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more recipes like this one, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at email@example.com for more information.